Thursday, March 15, 2012

Easy Peasy Cooking...

Quince is a member of the pear family
Now, I am the first to admit that I am no Rachel Ray or Nigella Lawson, Julia Childs would certainly not call on me to help her in the kitchen.

No, I am more your "Easy Peasy" cook, choosing tasty , quick and easy, over slaving for hours in the kitchen.

One thing I do enjoy is using fresh "in season" fruit and vegetables when I can. If someone offers me fruit or veges from their garden I never say "no".  So imagine my delight when I was offered a bag of Quinces, a fruit that I have never even seen in the flesh let alone cooked with. I have had Quince jam and jelly from the supermarket, but that was about it.

So, armed with my bag of Quinces, which I must say smell divine I set about finding an "easy peasy" recipe.  Here it is..


                                  Quince Crumble
5 Quince peeled and chooped into chunks
4-5 cloves            3 Cinnamon sticks - snapped
75g sugar


Crumble Topping:
225g plain flour
115g butter
100g sugar
pinch of ground cinnamon


Preheat oven to 190C  ( sorry not sure what that is in Farenheit)
Method:
Place the quince, cloves and cinnamon sticks in heavy based saucepan
Add enough water to cover the quinces
Bring to the boil and mix in the sugar
Cover & simmer for 5mins - uncover and increase the heat ( at this stage  your kitchen is starting to smell amazing)
Simmer the Quince uncovered until the liquid thickens into a syrup - abt 15 - 20mins
Using a slotted spoon put the cooked quince into a buttered ovenproof dish - remove cloves, cinnamon sticks  allow to cool


Place flour into mixing bowl, rub in butter until crumbles, add 75g sugar- spread onto Quince, I pressed it down firmly. Mixtogether the balance of the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on top  Bake 30mins. Serve warm with fresh whipped cream....... YUM!!







What is your favourite seasonal fruit or vege recipe? If you would like to share how about posting it on your blog and share it with us all...

3 comments:

Rochelle@AFamilyofLooneys

That looks super good my friend. I have never had Quince. We have a lot of blueberry bushes around our house. I usually try to make a blueberry cobbler. It does not last long with the kids.

Sylvia K

That does indeed look delicious! Now that my family is grown, I don't do a lot of cooking, but this looks tempting! Have a great weekend!

Sylvia

Suz

I have never tasted one...but that crumble looks divine...and I confess
I enjoy being an easy peasy cook too

  © Blogger template 'Blue Sky' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP